- 1 Effects
- 2 Create an Outpost
- 3 Relocate and upgrade to City
- 4 Resources and Districts
- 5 Attaching and Administrative Center
- 6 Technologies apply on Outpost
- 7 Emblematic Districts replacing the Outpost
Create an Outpost
With an Army action, and for an Influence cost you can set up an Outpost on an unclaimed Territory (one without any City or Outpost already on it). In the future this Outpost can become a City. Once an Outpost is founded by an Army, it takes several turns to make it functional, based on the placement Industry exploits. Once you've created an Outpost, the Territory where it is located is considered claimed and belongs to you. Other players may still enter the Territory, but no one else can claim it unless its Outpost is destroyed. You can destroy Outposts, even your own, by ransacking them with an Army (note that this will also destroy all trading routes passing through the territory).
The Outpost starts with an amount of Industry invested towards its completion given by:
It is possible for a strong Army to found an Outpost that is instantly completed.
No cities (Neolithic or no cities founded):
(minimum of 5)
D=Distance to nearest Attached Territory (adjacent =1)
T=Number of Territories you already control (Outposts or attached to cities
Common Law Civic: -50% cost for Outposts
I=Foreign influence on that tile-Your Influence on that tile
Relocate and upgrade to City
If for some reason you are not satisfied with the position of your Outpost, you can relocate it somewhere else inside the Territory for Influence. You can also develop it into a City after leaving the Neolithic Era, enabling resource gathering, infrastructure construction, and military production, but be aware that Cities cannot be relocated. In both cases, these operations take Influence to complete. Outpost relocation will clear District Ruins (useful for salvaging unworkable food tiles).
Once an Outpost has been upgraded to a City, other players cannot enter its territory without declaring war or having an Open Borders agreement.
Influence Cost of Upgrade Projects (First is Free)
(C= Number of Cities)
Upgrade project options
- City Creation (Ancient Era, no technology required)
- Colony Model (Medieval Era with Feudalism technology)
- Colony Plan (Early Modern Era with Three-Masted Ship technology)
- Colony Blueprint (Industrial Era with Steam Engine technology)
- Colony Grid (Contemporary Era with Civil Engineering technology)
Resources and Districts
From an Outpost, Empires can exploit all the Resource Deposits in the Territory. All of the Resources exploited will benefit your Empire and can be traded with other Empires. Building Districts and Units in an Outpost costs Influence. Cost (for Districts/Relocation) increases by with Time
Outpost Building/Relocating Influence cost
(Relocating has a "production cost" of 35)
- Artisans Quarter
- Strategic Resource extractors
- Hunnic Horde (cost 4 Population)
- Mongol Horde (cost 4 Population)
- Tribe (cost 1 Population)
- Bagèndí Pioneers (cost 1 Population)
Attaching and Administrative Center
Gives the ability to attach one of your Outposts and its Territory to an adjacent City. Absorption costs Influence, which increases with the Territory count of the City. Attaching an Outpost to a City cost the target City -20 stability per Territory.
The cost to attach an Outpost to a City is given by:
Once attached, the Outpost will turn into Administrative Center, which functions as a small Main Plaza.
- Legitimacy Civic: Modify Attach Outpost cost by -20%
- Conquest technology: Modify Attach Outpost cost by -10%
- Mauryans: Attach Outpost cost -10%
Attach cost modifiers (all?) stack multiplicatively. For example, Mauryans with Legitimacy Civic researched get a (1-(1-20%)*(1-10%) = -28% discount.
An Administrative Center can be detached from its City to turn it back into an Outpost.
It stops contributing FIMS to the City. Completed Districts remain, Disctricts under construction are cancelled and don't retain progress. All population stays in the City, and Outpost population is set to 0.
Detaching an Administrative Center does not cost Influence.
You can update any Administrative Center to your current Culture with a cheap construction project.
Technologies apply on Outpost
- Military Camps (Fortifications technology)
- +1 Combat Strength in combat for Units adjacent to District on Outpost
- High Density Habitation (Social Housing technology)
- On City or Outpost: